Thursday, November 18, 2010

Today's Experiment

So in our Good Food Box this month were 5 big red tomatoes. Now I do love an occasional slice of tomato in a sandwich, or I use them in my spaghetti sauces, pizza sauces etc. But I already have 2-3 containers full of sauce and a bag full of pizza sauce icecubes. And I just know I wont get through those 5 tomatoes before they go bad with my occasional slice! So, considering I had a hankering for tomato soup the other day, I decided to make up my own fresh tomato soup. So here is what I came up with -

Fresh Tomato Soup
2 tsp virgin olive oil
2 fresh pressed garlic cloves
1/2 sliced onion
4 cups of diced tomatoes (with skin and seeds, about 4 large tomatoes)
2 cups of chicken broth or vegetable stock
1 tsp thyme
2tsp oregano
2 tsp sugar
a couple dashes of chilli flakes
1/2 cup of milk or cream
pepper and salt to taste

  1. Saute the onions and garlic with the oil in a deep pan or a stockpot
  2. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil
  3. Add the broth with the thyme, oregano, sugar, and pepper flakes. Let it cook at mid heat for 20 mns
  4. Pour the mixture through a food blender (or use a hand blender like I do) until soup is creamy and the texture is smooth
  5. For a thicker soup, add the cream or milk.
This makes about 2 medium bowls. And it tastes like what a real tomato soup should! MMM!


Tomatoes with onion and garlic

Stewing

Blending the soup

Mixing in the cream

Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment