Honey Oatmeal Bread
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- .25 ounces of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 1/2 cups flour (I used a mixture of whole wheat and all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed slightly
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- In a large mixing bowl, combine boiling water, oats, 1/2 cup honey, butter and salt. Let stand for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the oat mixture. Add 2 cups of flour; mix well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 20 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove loaves from pans, brush tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons honey and sprinkle with oats.