Sunday, December 5, 2010

What the...

I have been making efforts to follow in the true spirit of Advent, and really live the life of a practising Christian. Naturally, going along with this, my urges to go to Church has considerably increased lately. Since I have school from 9-4 Saturday and Sunday, actually attending Mass has been impossible, unless I skip school which would really not be advisable especially considering the end of term projects and exams coming up. However, this morning, we were let off early, at noon, and to be honest, going to Church was not the first thing on my list of things to do. But while being dropped off by my mother in law, we passed the St-Vincent de Paul Church, and I asked her to let me off there. My thought was, I don't absolutely need Mass to just go in Church, light a candle, and sit in the pew to focus my thoughts and pray, do I?

Well apparently I do. The doors were locked, and I was completely surprised. I thought that as a rule, churches were supposed to stay open (at least during the daytime). But right beside the door was a sign with the operating hours. Apparently, the church closes at 12:30pm. How is this even possible? On a Sunday no less? I'm thinking there must have been some sort of mistake, or am I just disillusioned with my romantic notions of old-school churches and their open door policies?

In the end, I didn't get to go in, and the next closest place of worship was about an hour and a half walking distance. Disappointing to say the least.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh yeah unfortunately churches haven't been open 24/7 for many decades here. Most dioceses are in debt and simply can't pay for heating and security (obviously, collection money and other valuables could be stolen, but also the Blessed Sacrament has to be guarded), especially given how few people would actually come in on a given day. One does need to be aware of schedules.

    ReplyDelete