This year, my monsters have been pretty good at eating breakfast and coming in with a full tummy, but there's those few who don't, and always a couple who (for whatever reason) didn't that morning. That being said, I always like to try to bring in something for them to eat. Of course, I can't do that every morning, but I try it about once a week. Cinnamon raison bread, oranges, fruit smoothies, etc. But nothing gets them going more than Mauve Monster Muffins. I don't know if its the color, the name, or the heavy fruit intensity, but they loooove this muffin. They think its a dessert, when really, its antioxidant fruits and calcium and fibre makes it a great breakfast delight. But what they don't know won't hurt them. :)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp natural honey
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 ounces (three containers) of fat-free blueberry yogurt
- 4 tbsp 2% milk.
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups mixed antioxidant fruits (like these, or this if you prefer frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Stir dry into wet, and work together until combined (this is where the purple part comes from); batter will be very thick. Scoop into prepared muffin cups. I also sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar to the top for that extra sweet touch.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Makes 18.
|mmm purple batter|