Monday, January 16, 2012

Quotes from 1000 Gifts part 1

I mentioned before that I was reading the book '1000 Gifts - A Dare To Live Fully Right Where You Are', and had started my gratitude journal and reading the book at the same time. This book is amazing, although the writer is a bit fluffy in her style, and just like Mother Teresa's No Greater Love, it is chock full of quotes that are worth remembering, or just seem to perfectly resonate with me. I am only through about 50% of 1000 gifts, but I wanted to share the quotes that have especially marked me so far!


~ It takes approximately 20 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that it is full. How long does it take your soul to understand that your life is full?

~ The single biggest regret? Being in a hurry. (…) I cannot think of a single thing Ive ever gained from that. But a thousand things broken lie in the wake of rushing. In our rushing, bulls in a china shop, we break our own lives. Haste makes waste.
~ God gives us time. And who has time for God? Which makes no sense.
~Learning slowly to not be so reactionary while inserting verbal gratitude into stressful situations is almost like being healed of mental blindness. I have begun to “see” again. 
~The practice of giving thanks…eucharisteo…this is the way we practice the presence of God, stay present to His presence, and it is always a practice of the eyes. We don’t have to change what we see. Only the way we see. Thanks is what builds trust. 
~ Perhaps the opposite of faith is not doubt. Perhaps the opposite of faith is fear. To lack faith perhaps isnt as much an intellectual disbelief in the existence of God as fear and distrust that there is a good God.

 As a side note, I've been meaning to do the same with No Greater Love, but had never gotten around to it. Darn procrastination. I will do it when I read the book again.

No comments:

Post a Comment